• Fri., Aug. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Wed., Sep. 10, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Ward completes Ironman competition

Posted by Teresa Varley on October 13, 2013 – 7:23 am

When former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward sets his mind to do something, you can be sure he is going to see it through to the end, even if it is the most grueling sporting event in existence.

And he did just that on Saturday, finishing the 2013 Ironman World Championship Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii in 13 hours, eight minutes and 15 seconds. In addition, UPMC and Steelers’ neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Maroon completed his ninth Ironman in 16 hours, three minutes, and 48 seconds.

The Ironman, a 140.6 mile swim, bike and run triathlon is known as the “Super Bowl” of triathlon, an event only the best of the best normally participate in. Ward finished the 2.4 mile ocean swim in 1:20:01, while completing the 112 mile bike portion in 6:21:12. Ward completed the Ironman competition finishing the 26.2 mile race in 5:12:56.

Ward competed as a part of BECOME ONE, sponsored by Got Chocolate Milk, pushing himself to limits he didn’t know was possible.

“People ask why I want to put my body through the pain,” said Ward in advance of the Ironman. “But it’s a sense of satisfaction if I can cross that finish line. What a great accomplishment that would be.

“When I get at the starting line I know I am not going to win the race, but it’s all about finishing.”

Ward did what he set out to do, he finished.

????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????

Tags: ,
Posted in News, Uncategorized | 25 Comments »

25 Responses to “Ward completes Ironman competition”

1. By Steve on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Not surprised.Great job Hines.The Steelers should take you back.

2. By Garry Gibbons on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Hines you are the best thing to happen to steeler nation !! True ironman made of steel ! Stay tough thanks for the inspiration !!

3. By Doug on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Awesome. Way to go Hines. People train for 10 plus years to compete in the Ironman building and building stamina. Coming from a sport like football that uses so much Type II muscle fiber and then being able to convert to the Ironman which is one of the ultimate Type I muscle fiber event in the world truly is amazing. Congrats on the time too very good.

4. By Rocco on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Hines. Steeler fan here in NY. I wore my #86 Jersey in support of you yesterday. Ironically, It is also the day before Steelers come to town to play the Jets. I got heckled once. I said I am wearing it cause he is doing an Ironman today, What has any of your jet players done recently? Not there I need a reason to wear it. I plan on training for an ironman in a few years as right now I am trying to master the Half-Ironman. Again, Congrats to you.

5. By Todd Ricks on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Great Job Hines!
    My Aunt, Lauri Robinson, was right there competing with you! Thanks to you both for lending inspiration through quiet example.

6. By shesails25 on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Hines is an incredible athlete and a great human being. You were a great receiver and a wonderful “dancer”. Miss seeing you play on Sundays.

7. By Justin on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Good job Hines, you beat my dad by 2 hours! He was 55 at the time though =P

8. By Sherrie Thompson on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Great job HINES! Everything you do, you do well. Miss you as a Steeler.

9. By MDB749 on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Hines – great job! Super bowl ring, mirror ball trophy and ironman! What’s next? I miss you, man!

10. By Vinny on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Not surprised he’s a true warrior! A true role model on and off the field. Someone all of us should aspire to be like. Grew up in bad situation but remained a gentleman and worked hard to earn everything he has. Never used any of his hardships as an excuse but instead used them as an incentive to overcome and achieve greatness. Only wish not just more athletes but more people in general could be like him….it’s not what you think you are owed because no one is owed anything it’s what are you willing to work for to earn respect and to achieve goals. He definitely worked hard and has achieved everybody’s respect and is truly remarkable and awe inspiring!!! Ironman definitely…how could he not be…he’s a Steeler!!!

11. By Dolly on Oct 13, 2013 | Reply

Hines, I,ve been a fan of yours from day one with the Steelers, and it does not surprise me that you entered the
    “Suprt Bowl” of triathlons, and I am so proud of YOU.

12. By elmus jr on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Outstanding job Hines! Well Done! Once you start don’t look back. Great attitude.

13. By mark honeyman on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

wow…so you retire and just relax :)

14. By jason kobrynich on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

MVP of the Super Bowl. Most receiving yards as a steeler dancing with the stars champion and now this. I know hall of fame and run for president!!!

15. By Sean Durity on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Great work, Mr. Ward.

16. By JB in AZ on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Hines could do it all. There’s not much he hasn’t. Soon to be Hall of Famer. It would be nice to see you on the field again. So many missed passes this season that we all know you would have caught. We sure miss you out on the field but good to hear and see you on TV commentating. Hines you continue to be a positive role model for all of us and continue to amaze us even off the field. Psycho 86 Ward !!!

17. By Andy Russell on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Hines,
    Great job–I can’t imagine doing something that difficult. Ray Mansfield and I, after retiring from the Steelers, did various so called “gut tests”–adventure travel, climbing mountains such–nothing as difficult as what you just accomplished. Our hardest event was canoeing 168 miles on 48 lakes in Canada and Minnesota non stop–it took us 63 hours and 18 minutes–we were totally exhausted.
    Best always,
    Andy Russell 34

18. By Patty on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Hines you are such a BABE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. By kenny moats on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

congrats Hines Ward ,miss you 86 you are one of the best clutch receivers ever and i still rock your steeler jersy very proudly. May GOD continue to shine down on you. Kenny M

20. By sheila polite on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

I am sure you can do anything you put your mind to. Great job and congratulations!!!

21. By Julien Matadi on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

With the Steelers 0 – 4, we had a jersey day at work and I wore my No 86 Black and Gold jersey with pride. I remind everyone that you, Hines Ward, symbolized hard work, passion, determination playing the game with an electrifying smile. Congratulations on your accomplishment as a 2013 Ironman. I look forward to your induction into the Hall of Fame. The Steelers Nation misses you.

22. By frank dicrisi on Oct 14, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations Hines I am a. Steelers fan since 1951. Watched many great Steelers over the years and without a fought you are one of them the hall of. Fame will be your culmination of a fantastic career. Thanks for all the great memories you gave the Steelers nation.

23. By Shaun Horrigan on Oct 15, 2013 | Reply

From a 40 year Steeler fan in the state of Washington, that is really incredible for that event itself as well as the time spent preparing.
    If the Steelers need help at receiver it would be nice to see you one more time in the ‘Black & Gold’ !!!
    Rocky Bleier is my youth idol and now as of 2001 a friend. I had the opportunity to meet Rocky several times in person, now as an adult (48) you are on that same leve l!!!

Shaun Horrigan

24. By Adrian on Oct 15, 2013 | Reply

Great job Hines. What a huge inspiration!

Miss you on the field.

25. By Kiko Santos on Oct 16, 2013 | Reply

A proven winner at everything you do, Hats of to you Hines.