• Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Sat., Aug. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

An exciting day for a special teen

Posted by Teresa Varley on December 28, 2012 – 1:16 pm

2012_MAW_1228_0095

Kobe Payton probably never imaged he would catch a pass from an NFL quarterback, but that is exactly what he did on Friday afternoon when Ben Roethlisberger threw a football to the 14-year old from Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

Payton, who has battled myxoid liposacoma, a form of cancer that attacks the tissue, was at the team’s practice through the Make-A-Wish Foundation and afterwards met players and coaches and caught the pass from Roethlisberger.

“I am losing my mind. I lost my mind like three times,” said Payton. “When Troy Polamalu and Mike Wallace came and shook my hand, I almost cried. I was so scared too.”

Payton, along with his mom, aunt and cousin, will also attend the Steelers-Browns game at Heinz Field on Sunday.

“This is really big to me,” said Payton. “It’s crazy and unreal. I am so excited.

“I didn’t think I was going to meet everybody, but I have met everybody. This is crazy.”

2012_MAW_1228_00782012_MAW_1228_0053 2012_MAW_1228_0059 2012_MAW_1228_0068 2012_MAW_1228_0071

Posted in Community, News | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “An exciting day for a special teen”

1. By Karyn Estes-Lewis on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

This is great. Sad at how the opportunity arose, but big props to my favorite team for making this child’s wish come true. Black and Gold forever!

2. By Michelle on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Good for you!!! As a Big Time Steelers fan, Ican see how you would be over the top! I pray that your health improves kiddo!!!

3. By KARL BURRELL on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

“PRICELESS”

4. By BuckJoose on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Good job youngblood (Kobe) and Coach (Big Mike) Tomlin!! SteelerNation-South Mississippi….way to represent! The Pittsburgh Steelers…the World’s Greatest Team. SteelerNation…the World’s Greatest Fans!! Bam!!

5. By Chauncey Kan on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Steeler Nation Rocks!!!

6. By Patrick Martin on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Priceless Steeler Nation is more than Football & I love it!

7. By Marlina Polk McGiveron on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Pittsburgh Steelers, you are awesome for putting that smile on my nephew’s face. He really is an amazing kid and I love seeing him this happy. :)

8. By MT on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Mississippi stand up!

9. By SteelerLou on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Stay healthy Kobe, thank you Steelers for being a GREAT organization.

10. By Katherine Wright on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

STEELERS RULE!!!!!! ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!! GREAT JOB STEELERS!!! FAN4LIFE

11. By Nikki on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

So glad to see a Mississippi boy get to meet the Steelers! Such a great team, on and off the field! Best wishes Kobe and family. Steelers for life!!!!!

12. By Greg Polk on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Way to go homeboy! I am Mississippi guy also! Port Gibson, Ms. You have met the players from the best team in the NFL! STEELERS NATION FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

13. By DJ on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

praying he will be healthy soon, fantastic organization and team and fan base! God Bless!

14. By Ginny C. on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Kobe – you hang in there! Steeler Nation sends well wishes to you!

Thanks Steelers — you guys are the bomb!

15. By JoAnn on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Kobe our prayers will be with you and here is hoping you get well, and I know you will they have advanced so much in medicine. Just rest and keep praying the good Lord will take care of you. I love the Steelers and I am glad they came to see you, I would have passed out if Troy would have shook my hand, I think he is the greatest. May GOD Bless and keep you safe for a long time. Happy Healthy New Year.

16. By Tessie on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations Kobe!!! God Bless!!! You deserve it:)

17. By Ralph liggett on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

That’s why the Steelers organization is the best in the business. CLASS it starts at the top and runs top to bottom.

18. By Beverly Shields on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations to you Kobe! Live your dream and keep your spirit positive because more blessings will come your way.

19. By Jonnie on Dec 28, 2012 | Reply

Congrats Kobe! The pictures are great! So glad you are having a great time.
    Good to see “my folks” as my Mom would say on my favorite team Website.

20. By Mike D on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

A day he’ll NEVER forget !

21. By Karen Brown on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Awesome!! God bless The Make A Wish Foundation and The Steeler Organization for making Kobe’s wiish come true.

22. By Don on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

That is so uplifting to see that a kid facing the challenges he has had to go through lighten up a room with his smile. Awesome and nice to see positive news. Kobe, you are am inspiration to us all. KobeStrong….

23. By Bill on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

As always the Steelers show what a class organization they are. Kobe, continue to fight the fight and I hope you get well soon. A thank you to the players, coaches, and front office for making this kids dream come true! Steeler Nation Rocks!

24. By Sandra Reed on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Awesome! What a Mighty God we serve. Kobe and soror Gay you deserve this :)

25. By Stephanie Mclemore on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Kobe when God is in it there is no limit! I’m so excited for all your courage and faith you have shown during your process and of course a loving praying mother and family along with friends. You are awesome as well as the greatest team & Coach! Mississippi love here baby and STEELER NATION for life be blessed♥♥♥

26. By Jesie Stubbs on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

I SURE WISH I WAS YOUR SISTER FOR THIS TRIP! CORNFEDS EVERYWHERE! OMG

27. By Peter Topa on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

I am glad to see the steelers taking care of their fans, It is sad that Kobe is sick no child should suffer. The steelers always take the visits from Make A Wish foundation with dignity and poise.

28. By Joe condello on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

This is why we have won six superbowls to show steeler fans all over the world that nothing can stop you from surviving and you keep fighting Kobe because steeler nation got your back today,tomorrow and forever my steeler brother. Hope you are feeling better and best of luck to you and your family. The steelers will never let anyone down because they have a steel heart and that’s why I bleed black and gold.

29. By Gay Polk-Payton on Dec 29, 2012 | Reply

Thank you all so much for the great comments of encouragement for my son. My baby is so blessed and I am so grateful to God for using the Make-A-Wish Foundation and the entire Steeler’s organization to bless the life of my child even more. This has been an INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE for us all and we will never forget the kindness we have been shown. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!! #kobesmom