• Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Mon., Dec. 01, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM EST Mike Tomlin Press Conference

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Tue., Dec. 02, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Wed., Dec. 03, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Wed., Dec. 03, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Thu., Dec. 04, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., Dec. 04, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Fri., Dec. 05, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Fri., Dec. 05, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EST Steelers.com LIVE

• Mon., Dec. 08, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.

A perfect wish for a young fan

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 10, 2012 – 7:45 pm

Wide receiver Antonio Brown missed practice on Saturday because of an ankle injury, but he didn’t miss the chance to make the difference in the life of a 10-year old boy.

Devon Murphy, from Fuquay Varina, North Carolina, is a huge fan of Brown’s and the Steelers, and spent time during practice talking with the wide receiver thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“It was awesome,” said Murphy after meeting Brown, who was number one on his wish list. “He is really good and he is a nice guy and he is one of my favorites. He is cooler than I thought he would be.”

Murphy, his sister Kayla and parents Tim and Wendy were guests of the Steelers at practice and they will attend the Monday night game at Heinz Field against the Chiefs.

Murphy, who has been battling leukemia, also got to meet Coach Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, and all of the others players, as well as the  ESPN broadcast crew.

“I was telling my mom not to freak out and actually I am the one freaking out,” said Murphy. “This is a perfect wish.”

Posted in Community, News | 26 Comments »

26 Responses to “A perfect wish for a young fan”

1. By Jacob madden on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Steelers are the best team in history best offense and defense I would be at every home game if I lived Pittsburg but I’m In Florida you even have the most Super Bowl wins in history so go steelers

2. By mcovington21 on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

awesome that this young man and his family got a lifetime dream come true seeing our Steelers. This is what our team does well is making wishes come true. This will be a memory they will remember forever. Way to go STEELERS

3. By Grant on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Wow I wish I could do that because I am 11.and I have a room made for the steelers.i love all the players they are awesome

4. By Bruce Notte on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Steelers. A classy thing to do. Set the tone for others to follow. I love it.
    Here we go Steelers…..

5. By Jay Smith on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

I truely believe that my beloved Steelers are the greatest organization in sports. They truely care about the fans as much as we acre about them. The owners, coaches, players, etc all know what it means to us to be part of Steeler nation!!

In a day an age where greed and contracts and obligations are paramount, the “Steeler family” still believes in its roots, its city, and its fans. Thank you from all of us fans for what you give to us.

6. By John Paulauskas on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

It’s a true sign of greatness when a man, larger than life, humbles himself to the courage a person like Devon Murphy must have, and elevates Devon above himself. Thank you Devon for your courage and thank you Dick LeBeau for your life lesson.

7. By David ZaricHniak on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Steelers for putting a big smile on this young boys face. Battling leukemia has to be hard for someone so young. I no about battling being a retire veteran and how hard it can be to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. I know he and his family will have a good time tomorrow night at the game. Vended games in the 70’s as a youngester in Pittsburgh during the Steel Curitain Era.

8. By Christopher Smith on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

I see the Steelers take part in the Make A Wish Foundation fairly regularly and I never get tired of reading about it. They are such a classy organization and I am proud to be a lifelong fan of the best franchise in professional sports! Keep up the good work.

9. By Joe condello on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

I have been a steelers fan all of my life and it does not surprise me that the steelers are there for another great kid with a great family behind him. I hope Devon knows he not only has the steelers supporting him but he has the steeler nation behind him. I live in new jersey and I’ve been to Heinz field twice(once when they beat the ravens in the aft championship) . I hope to make it out there for the dedication of the immaculate reception but I have to check on the ticket prices. I also want to say that the steelers waiting to come to jersey so the people who needed the hotel rooms could use them was a great offer from a great team. I have to say besides the birth of my kids and my loving wife there is nothing better in this world then watching a steelers game with my son . Thank you and keep fighting Devon, we got your back. Joe condello

10. By jameybuster on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

This was so nice and sweet of AB and the Steelers to make this little kids wish come true, they all are real saints !

11. By Jim on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Another example of the class the Steelers have. Not only based on their winning ability but on how they support the community and their fans.

WAY TO GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

12. By will on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

This organization has more class then any other in the NFL. They are always doing something to help anyone. I am proud to say I am a steelers fan since the 60s. luv ya steelers

13. By Tony Cox on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Steelers make a wish for someone every week win or lose they make sure a kid with a battle on his hands feel good about himself and that Steeler nation has his or her back. CLASS organization with class players , i salute you.

14. By Aunt Michelle on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Devon – so proud of you! Your strength and courage is inspiring and I’m so glad you got to meet the players of the BEST TEAM in the NFL! Looking forward to hanging with you tomorrow in Pittsburgh!

15. By Arthur Canestrino on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Absolute classiest organization in all of sports. God bless the Rooney family, Coach Mike Tomlin and the entire football team for all the joy you bring us as Steelers fans. I have been a Steeler fan all my life from NJ and will live and die with the Black and Gold. Every down im with you guys. Go Steelers! P.S. If any Steelers personnel read this, i’s make an excellent DB coach.

16. By Nicole Murphy on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Devon, I am so excited for you. I am so proud to be your cousin and I am so humbled by your strength!!! I hope all of your dreams came true and hey, I guess I’ll have to start rooting for the Steelers now!! I love you buddy!

17. By tom moore on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

DEVON,, GOD BLESS YOU. I HOPE YOU KICK LEUKEMIAS BUTT!! STEELER
    PLAYERS,COACHES,ESPN CREW WAY TO GO. THE SMILE ON YOUR FACES SHOWS YOU ENJOYED MEETING THIS LITTLE BOY AS MUCH AS HE ENJOYED MEETING YOU!!! GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU FOR TRULY CARING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE :))

18. By Gina Rower on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Wow!! What a dream come true… Soooo cool! Keep strong, Devon, just like the players you met… Keep positive, your smile is contagious… I’m smiling just thinking of you…!

The Rower Family… Friends with Uncle Eric and Aunt Michelle

19. By Dan Marvelli on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Just an awesome!!! display of STEELER class…as well as humainity!!! JUST AWESOME!!!

20. By jeff on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

hey ‘jacob maddeb’ i think ur in the wrong place

YES GOD BLESS THESE STEELERS FOR THIS FEEL GOOD MOMENT!!!!!!!! GLAD TO SEE THE OTHER PIT PLAYERS AND STAFF GETTIN IN ON ACTION!

PROUD DALLAS MAN HERE!! PIT IS MY FAMILYS TEAM!!!!

21. By Angela Baley on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

What a great story, i have been a Steelers fan since i was a little girl . That was one of the many reasons i became a Die Hard Steelers Fan. I am so happy that they made Devon’s wishes come true. What a beautiful young man . The Steelers really care about their fans and it shows. Great story

22. By grandma & grandpa murphy on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

wow great pics. best smile ever and and a great kid so thankful for :”make a wish” they do such great things. ram has sent ths to all on her e-mail list. love you murphy’s

23. By Buddy on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Devon is a friend of my son, Aiden. He is a really great kid who gives it his all on the baseball field as well as the Leukemia. Keep fighting and staying positive and I hope you enjoy Heinz field. Maybe you will help those ketchup bottles tip over on the jumbotron all night long tonight. Thank you to the Steelers for being a great family owned organization.

24. By michael chiaverini on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

god bless you devon wish you all the best.. way to go steelers class all the way.. you guys truly are the TOPS.. BLACK&GOLD 4LIFE!!

25. By Skyler Harper on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

THE STEELERS ARE THE BEST. There my favorite team even though I am surrounded by bills fans

26. By angelafritton on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Devon….you are awesome! So glad that your beloved steelers were happy to fulfill your wish! Love the pictures. Dominic looks forward to seeing you when you get home! This story is one of the many reason why we here in North Carolina we love the Steelers! Go Black and Gold!