• Thu., Jul. 24, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Moye’s childhood dream comes true

Posted by Teresa Varley on November 7, 2012 – 9:49 pm

Derek Moye grew up a Steelers fan living outside of Pittsburgh in Rochester, Pa., and now the rookie wide receiver’s childhood dream has come true after he was signed to the team’s practice squad.

“Being from the area and having a chance to come out here and be with the Steelers is a lifelong dream of mine,” said Moye. “Just like everyone around here I was a huge Steelers fan. It’s a lifelong dream to be a part of the team.”

Moye, who played at Penn State, was added after Antonio Brown suffered a mild ankle sprain against the New York Giants.

“I guess they just needed someone to help out on the practice squad and I am fortunate to be here,” said Moye. “They said work hard and whatever happens, happens. That is what I plan on doing, working hard and trying to show what I can do.”

Moye originally signed with the Miami Dolphins as a rookie free agent in May, but was waived and picked up by the New Orleans Saints. He was released by the Saints during training camp, and is now working toward staying put with the hometown team.

“That is what I plan on trying to do,” said the 6-5, 210 pound Moye. “Hopefully they like what I can do and I can go from there. They just said come in and prove what I can do and show I can play.”

Posted in News, Player | 7 Comments »

7 Responses to “Moye’s childhood dream comes true”

1. By Michelle Brower on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I wish you the best Derek. ‘Hope you make the roster.

2. By Andrew Reckhart on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

It would be awesome to have a 6’5″ true wide receiver. The idea the he is a hometown kid make him someone to root for! I hope it works out well for him!

3. By Eric on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Congrats Derek! I enjoyed watching you at Penn State,and now you made it to my favorite Pro Team! Work Hard and hopefully I will get to watch you light it up again! GO STEELERS!!

4. By Diana Bowden on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to U Derek. I know U will remember what I taught U in Kindergarten…”ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST”. You always have!!!! Praying for U!!!

5. By JIM LOHMAN on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I hope he makes it.

6. By Brian Puckett on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

wow! thats amazing

7. By Amy J on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Being a fellow Rochy graduate we are all very proud of Derek and cannot wait to see what he is able to accomplish with the STEELERS!!! Growing up in that area the Steelers are your team and to be able to play for and with them now I know his whole family is proud of him! We are all cheering for you Derek!!!