• Thu., Apr. 24, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 15, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 22, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Coach Mike Tomlin post-game vs. Raiders

Posted by Teresa Varley on September 23, 2012 – 8:43 pm

Opening Comment: That was a poor performance by us. When you play like that you lose football games. Not enough stops on defense. We turned the ball over on offense. We gave up a big return or two which provided field position, a shot in the arm in the kicking game and allowed them to respond to some scores.  I would like to tip my hat to the Oakland Raiders. They played winning ball. That is not the style of ball that we desire to play. You are going to lose when you play like that, as we did today. We have got to chew on this one for a while, obviously. It’s not going to go down easy, as it should not go down easy. It won’t define us. We’ll go back to work. We’ll continue to search for areas of improvement, which are many.

Did you intend to go for it all along on fourth down?
I intended to go all along. I wasn’t going to punt the football to them. We hadn’t stopped them enough in the second half to do that. It was inside of one. If you can’t get inside of one you deserve to lose games. I won’t hesitate to do that.

Was there any reason you weren’t able to stop them defensively or was it lack of execution?
Not very good execution by us, but at the same token you tip your hat to them because they did execute in critical moments and made the necessary plays. I don’t want to take anything away from them, but obviously we expect more and better from ourselves.

Did you ever think about slowing down the pace in the fourth quarter?
I wasn’t concerned about the pace; I was concerned about our quality of play and our ability to maintain possession of the ball. We turned the ball over some and that was a defining factor for us at least offensively.

Antonio Brown had a couple of drops and one got away. Your thoughts on that with the game he had?
We turned the ball over. We can’t do that, not only him but us collectively. He wasn’t the only one.

Posted in Game Day | 57 Comments »

57 Responses to “Coach Mike Tomlin post-game vs. Raiders”

1. By George on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m by far not a coach but despite the turn overs by the offense they still put up the points to win! However the defense wich is now too be the best in the NFL couldnt stop Carson Palmer and the Oakland Raiders. What happen to Depth? Defense look at yourselves and think about that. What happend to the standard is the standard? Is it that your content with this Defense ,which right now does not stand for that? Well if that is the case then us fans are in for a long tuff winter. get it together Black And Gold and Start palying like you know how. Get the running game going and Defense, Start making offenses wish they had never seen you and make them respect you for who you are and what you stand for!

2. By Mike on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Great game Ben. I’m sorry your Defense wasn’t there to help you out. This is Steelers Defense right. Black and Gold right, Steel Curtain Right. We as Steeler fans should be ashamed of the defense performance today. Sorry to go against you coach but the Raiders have a lousy team and your defense let them put up 34. Get it together boys. I have been bleeding Black and Yellow for 38 years and we need you guys to pick it up.

3. By Dan on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Troy and Harrison our huge factors when it comes to our D. We will get it back together. Would like to see more agressive D. Seems like when Troy is out we play very conservative D.

Just my opinion. Offense looks outstanding.

4. By ROD on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

It´s a shame…no D, no courage, no Team..what happen with them..sorry this will be a lon long season..i think

5. By rg on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

What did we have on the ground 50 yards maybe?….yes the D let us down….U can say all day that Troy wasnt there and neither was James….but really, in the end the D let us down. I will always be Black & Gold 4ever, but this ground game…and the D is really making me question how good of a team this will be.

6. By Tom on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Everyone is over reacting to 1 loss. Yes it was an awful loss. Yes our defense looked awful. They will respond. They always do. The return of Harrison and Polamalu after the bye will give a spark they are missing.

7. By Gregory Sampson on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I have been a Steeler fan for forty plus years, this defense was terrible, It was a shameful performance, DB’s couldn’t cover, Raiders ran on the defense, Wr’s for Oakland ran free all day long. Please explain to me when the Raiders are in 3rd and 2 our DB’s are 5-10 yards off the wide receivers . What happened to Steeler football the defense no longer scares anyone, we no longer attack, we just sit back and let teams attack us, special team play has been terrible, we can’t stop the run. I love my Steelers , too much talent on this team to be playing like this

8. By jose on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

It’s the second game that we loose controlling everything but mistakes,stop celebrathing plays and celebrate wins brown.

9. By Jon on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I agree mostly with Coach Tomlin about his comments above. The offense did turn the ball over and the Special Teams gave up key field position, but these corners of ours played sorry football against a sub-par team. They were worried about the speed of the Raiders’ offense the whole game, so they played off the WRs especially since they didn’t have Troy in the line up. I would rather see our corners get burned deep than give up these dink and dunk throws. Coach Haley deserves credit for what he is doing with Ben. I notice a lot of little changes in his game for the better. The bottom line is the defense played sorry football against a sorry football team. What I am hanging to from this game it’s not how you start it’s how you finish. Let’s go Steelers black and gold forever.

10. By ALDO ARPAIA on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Draft a SS cb and dlineman 2013
    Signa free agent olb

11. By Glenn on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

I have never been a big fan of Tomlin and so far the start of this season is making me even less of a believer. The offense has improved but can we not run on nearly every first down. The offense seems to be still pretty predictable in that sense. Defensively we’re in shambles. I understand we are missing a couple key players in Harrison and Troy. They may make enough of a difference when they get back into the lineup but remember they are older and don’t have many more seasons left in them. Then what do we have once they’re done the defense we’ve seen the last couple weeks, not a promising future on the defensive side of the ball unless guys progress and get better. Also, can we cover anyone? I don’t know if we have knocked a ball away yet this season. I think most of the incompletions opposing quarterbacks have are by dropped passes from their own receivers. Why is it too that when it’s third and one or two our coverage guys play ten to fifteen yards back, makes no sense. This is not a one game rant because they lost to the Raiders tonight, defensively they have looked poor so far this season.

12. By Norm on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, I know many will behead me for this, but we have no defensive secondary. They (opposing QB’s) have picked apart our secondary far too easily. Troy isn’t a magic pill, James isn’t the magic linebacker. The fact is we don’t pressure the opposing quarterbacks.

On offense, where’s the running game? One man (Mendenhall) isn’t going to change that. The “O” line simply isn’t opening any holes, so we throw, throw, throw.

13. By RO on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

been a steelers fan for 15 years, and I have to say through 3 gms the performance by the D has me sick in the stomach like never before… no heart and no passion… seems like teams are adjusting to the D at the half, but the steelers D makes no adjustments themselves time to wakeup can’t keep wasting these sick big ben performances

14. By Michael D on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

OUCH…that was ugly, Coach. I’m as die hard as they come, but that was hard to watch. No pride left in the defense, it seems. You guys didn’t want it bad enough. Gotta rebound from this. No more excuses.

15. By James Terry on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Have teams figured out our defensive scheme or is the defense just not as good as they used to be. To go on the road and score 31 points and still lose to the Oakland Raiders. That’s embarrassing. This seems to be a growing trend dating back to last year. I’m concerned.

16. By Charles on Sep 23, 2012 | Reply

Age for us on the defensive side of the ball is catching up to the Steelers. Look at injuries to James Harrison & Troy Polomalu. They definitely help out our pass rush & put cocnfidence in our defense when it comes to closing out games. Penalties were just as much of a killer versus the turnovers in today’s game. Also we need our running game to step it up big time. With the running game not manning up the way it should, there is a reason why Ben Roethlisberger has to shoulder the load. Masterful game by Big Ben, just hurts to see one slip away. Lets regroup & go after the Eagles. Lets go Black & Gold! Here we go Steelers!

17. By Jeff on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Been a fan since I learned what football was out about back in the 70′s. Will always be a fan. Defense, as a fan do you know how hard it is not to be able to watch the game until you get back home and have it recorded, only to stay up late and watch the Steelers lose because of pitiful D? I’d like to see 30 or 40 points for us every game, but I love watching the Steelers D shut other teams down. Come on already! I know Troy makes a huge difference but what if it’s do or die in the playoffs, or at this rate do or die to make the playoffs and Troy gets hurt again? Someone needs to step it up because that is the Steeler way. If this happens to get read by the Steelers D, take it as motivation…. WHO IS GOING TO STEP UP???

18. By david on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

It’s alright guys, you did your best. I was pretty sad about this loss, but I know we will get back on track and play better after the bye week. GO STEELERS

19. By Cliff Allen on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

When are going to be more balance offense it seems we’re one sided pass we have good backs use them more we have been down the road of being one sided before an it didn’t go well

20. By Jan on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Not sure what happened, but the Steeler defense didn’t make the trip to Oakland this weekend. They never showed up! I thought Ben put up the numbers, but the defense couldn’t stop Palmer at all! The silly penalties didn’t help either. I believe Coach Tomlin should take a long hard look at himself and his coaching staff for not calling a better game! Shame on the defense and the coaching staff…and would someone please explain to Brown and the rest of our receivers that making A CATCH is not something they should celebrate on the field…they should wait till we WIN THE GAME BEFORE CELEBRATING. Am glad we have a bye week to get our act together because the Ravens and Bengals will not be easy to beat if our defense can’t get their act together!

21. By Peter on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Three games so far, and the defense has not show up.

22. By Josh on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Its gonna b a long long season. I cant believe the D is playing this bad.

23. By rj on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

That was not Steelers Football…..I would say Iam not alone with that observation.
    Iam going to have to be honest …. I have been watching Steelers football for 39 of my 47 years now, but I would have to say that was the worst defense I have seen a Steelers team play in 25 years.
    We need a leader on Defense….if Troy or James are not on the field than someone else has to step up and wake up the fire inside these guys !

24. By Doug on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

The standard is the the standard means nothing if the talent is not there or is not developed or ready. you can’t expect the average player to perform like Polamalu or Harrison. Age and key injuries are finally taking it’s toll.

25. By Gary on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Anytime you lose high quality players like James Farrior and Aaron Smith, other players have to step up. We are also without Troy and James so players like Woodley, Timmonds and Foote need to step up their play to show the younger players what Steeler D is all about. Steeler football is also about physicallity and running the football. If the O line wins the battle in the trenches we have Redmen, Dwyer, Rainey and Mendenhall who are very good RBs and will provide balance. Only 3 games into the season, but its time to play with urgency from here on.

26. By Nace on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

That was beyond poor play by the defense. They Steelers had the ball for 2/3rds of the first half. The D should have been fresh for the Steelers and the Raiders D should have been gasping for air come the 3rd. Teams should just kneel down for the first 2 downs because the pass play on 3rd and 10 seems to be pretty effective against that Steelers.

27. By fred apple on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Wasted offensive effort. Big loss.

28. By GrewUpSteeler on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I’ll be happy with a 14-2 record. This loss was a cheap one that shouldn’t have gotten away. Oakland is not a good team and we gave them too many chances to hang around. They made us pay at the end and we need to remember this when we have 10 point leads in the future. Gotta bury them with TDs and not FGs. Great Job Ben!! The man can make things happen when he needs to. We gotta get the D right and know Coach LeBeau is on top of it.

29. By Tony Cox on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

we have no pass rush whatsoever, our db have no chance if the line cant put heat on a qb. I thought Munys hit was a beautiful football play, he was goin to the chest, if reciever drops his head and takes it on the chin, so be it, i guess that was the one play we made in half. All i heard in training camp was how well Mcclendon was playing , has he been in a game yet? If not why,no other lineman is making any tackles?

30. By denise paretti on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

losing 2 games to sub par teams is not good.Getting it “together” for the defense does not look possible this year.They were absolutely horrible. Looks like the corners forgot how to bat a ball away from the receivers, and are just going after the receiver.Playing 10, 11 yards away from the receivers is not going to work.

31. By robert perkins on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

The Defense Lose again This is a very bad Defense

32. By Nancy Hangeland on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Our offense looked great, wished we could have run the ball more to chew up more time. Where was the defense? I know we are out a couple of players, but the Steelers are known for their defense. We need our defense for our game against the Eagles. Let’s Go Steelers

33. By Thomas Calandra on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Very bad play by the defense. Ben had a great game; but the rushing game has to get better. Miami rushed for almost 200 against them.

34. By Jim T on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

What has happened to Blitzburgh.. We used to be formidable on D. Now, we get moved on easily by Carson Palmer and the Raiders. Where is that D that would be all over showing different guys possibly coming at any time. Our Defense was constantly hard counted Sunday to give up their intentions and then checked by a different play call.. Offense, come on with all the lose balls. way to many fumbles… Fix this or this will be a long season..

35. By Ran on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I totally agree with Dan….we need Harrison and Troy back. The “D” looks lifeless without Troy and we really have no pressure by our Linebackers, except maybe Woodley, without Harrison. Also the pass protection is just going downhill,,,,,,we give up everything, and it is fustrating to watch everygame unfold like that. (all 3rd down conversions made by other team)
    The offense is good, so many weapons for Ben to use and the running game will get better. If we had Castro in the O-Line, wow they would be amazing but we can’t keep going score to score with other teams and need to pick it up on D and fast…..especially with Bal coming.

36. By Rodger on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been a Steelers fan all my life (45yrs) and it disturbes me that whenever I read a post on an upcoming game that the Steelers should definitly win (such as the Raiders) they lose – and lose BIG… This seems to be a curse against the team, I would rather read a post expecting the Steelers to lose and ironicly they may seem to pull an upset and actually win the game. I;ll agree with everyone else that the “Defense” is lacking in every aspect of the game however, I don’t agree with the notion that when Troy and Harrison return its going to make a difference. The Steelers were built as a “TEAM”, and it shouldn’t matter whether a teammate is sidelines with an injury or not – the rest of the team should be able to play and win games regardless… How is this team supposed to contend with the Ravens and Cincinatti and possibly make the playoffs if you can’t even beat a winless team such as the Raiders… If the defense can’t get there sh@t together the whole team may as well give up on the rest of the season and start planning for next year…
    Lets go Steelers, regroup during the bye week and come out strong for remainder of the seanson and lets make another run at that seventh Super Bowl title…

37. By Ella Linnon on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I am just curious as to what plan of attack Dick LeBeau had in mind, as it wasn’t working. Not what Steeler nation is used to watching. Come on defense, get it togther.
    Good job, Ben.

38. By Meedaman on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

No defense and when we get back Troy & James I’m not convinced will be much better. Both getting up in age we need to draft better or start signing some free agents. Ben deserves much better then this poor defense performance!

39. By skydiver-1 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Antonio Brown has to hold on to the ball…. The Steeler defense didn’t look too good. The Raiders defense was swarming after the ball carrier. You have to give Oakland’s defense credit for stopping us….. Big Ben played a solid game, but what a shame to lose it all in the end. Carson Palmer looked unstoppable. Evidently, he was just that. The Steelers should have slowed the pace of the game in 4th quarter.

40. By paul on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I saw the offense control the first half, and able to score after a pitiful defensive effort let the Raiders score. However, when it came down to being able to make
    a last 4 minute drive, stupid penalties. I believe a ref could call offensive or defensibe holding on every play. But don’t make the hold obvious to the refs or any one simply watching the game to see. STOP THE CELEBRATING after a play you are supposed to make, and DON’T ACT LIKE YOU WON THE GAME AFTER A
    CATCH OR RUN OR A TACKLE…..just simply play every play like you are
    supposed to play/work. EARN THE PAY FOR THE WORK YOU DO….it’s not too late to correct any of the bad habits of the 1st 3 games.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!

41. By hardassteel on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

My concern is: Where is the emotion? Where is the passion? Where is the drive? Has anyone else noticed how often we play uninspired and flat? It’s like we’re just out there to play and get it over with. We get syked up on a couple of good plays, but no one seems to keep that fire going even when we get down. Yes we are getting a little long in the tooth, and yes we really need to execute better, but WE ARE THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS! Coach, you say the standard is the standard, BUT AS THE ONLY 6 TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS, WE SET THE STANDARD. Then let’s get back to the standard, back to the fundamentals, back to the basics, back to what once made us the most feared team in the NFL. BODY ON A BODY. STICK WITH THE BLOCK. DONT JUST HIT, WRAP UP THE BALL CARRIER. MOVE YOUR FEET. Playing in the NFL is a privilege. Playing for the BLACK AND GOLD IS AN HONOR. Bring it back Coach…….Bring it back…..

42. By Tommie on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I totally agree @Hardassteel

43. By Ray on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I never thought I would ever see the day when a Steeler team couldn’t, run the football, or stop anyone on defense. Cowher’s teams would have had the lead and then run right at them at will.

44. By Don Cool on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

This game was no surprise, Our pass defense has not been good for some time.With the lack of a pass rush its no wonder we get beat by bad teams, look at the playoff game in Denver last year.The only reason we beat the Jets last week was because of the bad quarterback play on the part of the jets.The Steelers have had enough time to address the issues but instead we give contract extensions to lesser players. I think the Steelers defense should pay for my directv football package this year.The dark cloud looks like its not going to lift anytime soon.

45. By Rich on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I love my Steelers but.. the team still struggles on the road, they are killing our Nation with penalties along with not keeping their lead in the last 15mins of play and the defence well….its just not working.
    Nuff said!!!!

46. By DoubleDave on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

This all comes down to one simple thing on Defense – there is no leadership – no fire – no emotion..!

47. By Tommie on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Steelers defense is definitely getting weak. Watching the Darren McFadden touchdown run over and over again in slow motion on the DVR. DB,s showed no effort, BTW, Ike Taylor was held big time, the play should’ve been called back. Either way, Steelers it’s time to earn those checks.

48. By Will Lacroix on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Where is the pass rush? Without any pressure on the opposition quarterback even a has been like Palmer can look like Ben. Please have coach Lebeau go to a 4/3 so that we can at least rush the opposition quarter back into making a bad decision. It makes the defensive backs lives miserable when you give the opposition all day to throw the ball. It amazes me that coach Lebeau is not able to adjust to a 4/3 when your current 3/4 is so terrible. Please Please Please hurry back James and Troy. Hats off to Ben and our offence, I just love it when our Steelers pass on first down, great job coach Haley.

GO STEELERS!!!

49. By steeltowngirl28 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Defense — lets play with consistency, finish the plays… this was an embarrassing game for our defense… I kept thinking — what are we doing???!

50. By levi on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Why am i not surprised by all this flat,no defense,no hunger,no ball hawkers talk.As i was the 1st to comment last night,and for some reason can’t find it,imentioned all of the above 1st. Why u say.It’s easy.I’ve been a steeler fan for over 30 yrs.I remember when i used to open the paper and NOT worrying if they won but by how many points and what player did what during the game….so far this season It’s just PITIFULL!!. Once again to make a long story short.Lets see if i’m smart-
    Start now-Evaluations will be done on every play.
    If too many mistakes are done the player sits down and depth is called upon.
    If that player is doing good and continues-He stays in until further notice.
    I WANT MY CORNER BACKS TO START HITTING!!!!!!! THE OPPOSITER RECEIVER OFF THE LINE WITHIN THE 5 YARD BUMP AND RUN RULE.
    Wake up D- line or your our with others fulling your spot
    And i want more chances on interceptions.
    for those of us that hold on to hope remember this “all they have to do is reach the playoffs. Remember 2005 that championship yr. all the wins were on the road.forget the guys on the team I WANT THAT SAME DETERMINATION,HUNGER,AND GUTS.Take care steelers fans see u in 2 weeks.

51. By Tom on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Where is the fire? Where is the swarming defense? Where is the vocal leader for this defense?
    Where is the defense and team nobody wants to play? This by no means looks like a steelers team.
    What do you call a team which can’t stop the other team once in the second half?
    1-2 that’s what.
    Better find the fire Tomlin, Lebeau and Haley before we are talking about next year!

52. By Jon schwartz on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

I agree that our defense was terrible. The offense looked good on the pass. Great job Ben! No one seems to mention the awful officiating when it comes to the dirty hit on Ben.(no call) and the possible career ending slash to Pouncey which would have taken the Raiders out of the winning field goal range. Those 2 calls alone should motivate the NFL to settle the officials dispute.

53. By brillpro on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

If you look at the Steelers record when Troy is out you see we are well under .500. Coupla years ago he should have been the MVP and played like 2 games or so (not much exaggeration there when you look at the numbers). Ben was great, the offense except for the dropped passes was great. The D was mediocre and we only lost by 3. Troy means 6 points per game. When he’s out we have to step up. When he’s in there we will win a high percentage of games. Whatever happened to Blitzburgh Mr. Lebeau? When Troy is out you have to step up the pressure.

54. By larry on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

what is wrong with our defense cannot stop the runs or passing

55. By larry on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

for one there does not seem to be alot of pressure getting to the quarterbacks giving to much time to look and throw the ball

56. By javier madrigal on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

once upon a time there was a great defense. i hope that era hasn t come to an end. im used of the defense getting us out of trouble not into. cmon guys (defense) i know we can do a lot better. please don t make me watch this type of defense for 16 games i don t wanna be depressed for that long. missed tackles, no QB sacks (for what we re used to), we dont look good in zone or man. we need to be consistent not on this roller coaster (compared to last week). this D usually makes QBs taint their boxers. i wanna get back to that and i believe we will but the 11 guys on the field have to give their all every snap.

lets remind every nfl team why they where so scared of us.
    hit hard and play harder. STILL BELIEVE

57. By Tom on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Ben, one of the best games of your career went wasted. I can’t think of too many games where a quarterback throws up 384 yards, 4 touchdowns, and completes close to 75% of his passes and the team still loses. The defense better consider this a wake-up call, because this was a game they should’ve handled easily, even without Troy and James. We have a tough game in Philly coming up, so use this loss as a motivation to get better next week. GO STEELERS!!!!