• Thu., Apr. 24, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 01, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 08, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 15, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., May. 22, 2014 4:00PM - 4:30PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Hard work pays off for Beachum

Posted by Teresa Varley on September 3, 2012 – 8:50 pm

Kelvin Beachum went to sleep last Thursday night following the Steelers final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers knowing he did exactly what Coach Mike Tomlin said.

“Coach Tomlin told us to control what you can control,” said Beachum. “Go out there and finish as hard as you can, know what to do and enjoy the game. I took that approach and did all I could. I got home, prayed, went to sleep and got on a plane the next morning and went about my day.”

While many rookies and young players waited in a hotel room in Pittsburgh for news of their fate on Friday, the day NFL teams had to get down to the 53-man roster, Beachum flew home to Texas for a few days to visit family while he waited for word on his football future.

“I knew whatever happened this was the last time I was going to see the family for a while, regardless of the situation,” said Beachum. “I wanted to make sure I got to see them, my grandparents, my little sister, I wanted to spend time with family before the decision came down.”

He didn’t have to wait too long for his phone to ring.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” said Beachum, the Steelers final seventh-round pick out of SMU. “Coach (Sean) Kugler called me around noon. I was in the car with one of my friends from school. I didn’t know what to think at the time. I wanted to be positive, but I didn’t know what to expect.

“He called and asked if I was waiting on a call. I told him yeah. He said what if that call is to tell you that you made the team. I told him that is what I am talking about, in a much more excited manner than that.”

And one of the best things for Beachum was he got to share that excitement and joy with his family right there.

“It’s wonderful, it’s indescribable,” said Beachum. “The emotions, the way your family is just overwhelmed that one of their own has made it to a level such as this.

“It was awesome. My parents were happy, my grandparents didn’t know what to say, what to think. It was an important moment and I am glad I made the decision to go there with them for that.”

Now it’s time for Beachum to take it to the next level. He saw the other side of what happens on cut down day when veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex was released. It opened his eyes to what it takes to make it in the NFL.

“I really see it for the business it is and how much work, time and commitment you have to put into this job and career to make it,” said Beachum. “Not only to make it, but to stay here. That is the thing now. Yes I made it, but now I have to put in even more work to stay here.”

Posted in News, Team | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Hard work pays off for Beachum”

1. By dale r. schaffner sr. on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

welcome to your new home kelvin as a member of the vast steeler nationas let me wish u a hearty welcome to the best damed football team on the planet GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL THE LUCK AND SUCESS IN YOUR CAREER

2. By Bill Weichler on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to the Burgh Kelvin. Those of us that follow this team know about you and appreciate the uphill battle it was to make this team. I wish you Godspeed. If you get the chance to play, either special teams or otherwise, remember, Steeler fans and Steeler coaches love players that hit somebody on every snap. Go get you some dude.

3. By Robert Schaum on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to Steelernation, Kelvin. Keep #7 clean and you will be here a long time.

4. By Les Clemens on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to the team, and soon I know you will realize that the Steelers are no ordinary team. We fans are EVERYWHERE no matter where you may play, Black and Gold will be there.

5. By Orrin Pruis on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Young Mr. Beachum Welcome to reality, that is Steeler Nation……….. Time to represent Like we know you can. Alway’s remember you are the NFL.Good luck from the West coast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. By cindy rowell on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Welcome to STEELERNATION Kelvin. I got the oppertunity to watch you play at SMU the whole time you were there,were season ticket holders,and I just happen to be a STEELER fan as well. So I wish you well on you NFL journey. I know God is with you on this wild ride your getting on. LET’S GO STEELERS!!!!

7. By Joseph Jones on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Proud of you!

8. By Ted Gwostz on Sep 4, 2012 | Reply

Good Job Kevin – hard work pays off and you are now a member of the best team in the NFL. Keep your man on the ground and your career will be long! Steeler Nation forever!

9. By William Weyers on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Our offense line has needed help for the past at least five . I look at offense line as the keystone to a successful play..the keystone has a crack in it the offense goes nowhere, or it will cause the qb. To scramble,…be a leader and study your opponent long and hard.. Congrats. We love you and wear our/your colors well….51 years season ticket holder…..

10. By dan b on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Wax ‘em, don’t bleach ‘em. Go Kelvin Beachum!

11. By Ron Bramhall on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

As a displaced Western Pennsylvanian now living in Dallas, I’m so happy that another SMU player has made the team!! Congrats on your hard work brother and good luck this season!

12. By Pastor Lanny Henry on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

We are so proud of you Kevin, I remember the many years of seeing you go by to the church next door where you, your parent, and grandparents attended. Never did I know I would be reading about you being on a professional football team. I knew though, that with your mannerism and goal to achieve that you would go far in life. May God Blessing keep pouring out on you ! You are an example of what our young men should be. Congratulations!!! I will be watching you!