• Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Sat., Aug. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Wallace: “I am ready to go”

Posted by Teresa Varley on August 28, 2012 – 4:20 pm

Mike Wallace was on the sidelines during the Steelers practice on Tuesday afternoon, taking mental reps but only allowed to be a spectator after he reported earlier in the day, ending his long holdout.

Wallace isn’t allowed to practice for three days, and he hopes to return to the field on Monday when the team begins preparation for the regular season opener against the Denver Broncos on Sept. 9.

“I couldn’t even go on the field. That was a little different,” said Wallace. “I am here now, learning the plays. I get to at least see it. At home I couldn’t even see it. At least getting to watch those guys I am getting a couple of mental reps.

“I will be back on Monday hopefully and ready to roll.”

While he couldn’t practice, Wallace was happy just to be around his teammates and be back in football mode.

“That is the best feeling in the world, seeing all of the guys, all of the smiles, all of the sweat, all of that good stuff,” said Wallace. “I am ready to be back, ready to be with my teammates. I am ready to go.

“What I really feel like I missed is my teammates. I am not worried about everything else. Just being around football is what I missed. You have to be out there to run the plays, but I know the plays. I am not really worried about that. I had a lot of time so all I did was study my plays. I knew my plays. I just really missed being around my teammates and the atmosphere.”

Wallace said he decided to return to the team now because he felt like “my teammates need me,” as they prepare for the regular season.

“It’s time to get ready for the season,” said Wallace. “I felt like it was time to go.  I am ready to roll, I am here. That is all that matters to me. I am not worried about why or nothing. Why, because my teammates need me here and it’s time to get prepared for the season.”

It’s going to take Wallace a few days once he is back at practice to get his body back in football shape, even though he definitely looked like he was in condition having spent time in Orlando working with trainer Tom Shaw.

“As far as conditioning-wise we have two weeks until the game,” said Wallace. “I have been working out, doing really good conditioning so that is not going to be a problem. Nothing is like getting in football shape. It’s a little different. The first couple of days I might be a little more tired than the rest of the guys, not because I am not in shape but because it’s different with the pads on. I will be ready when it’s time to go on Sunday night against Denver.”

Wallace, who has a one-year tender, was not focused on a long-term contract on Tuesday, just on being back with the team.

“That’s down the road,” said Wallace of signing a new deal. “Hopefully I can. I would love to be here. This is the team that drafted me and this is where I want to stay. I am not really worried about down the road. I am worried about playing football right now. That’s it. That’s really the only thing on my mind. You all might think I am just saying that, but that’s it. I am not worried about none of that. That was business. I am not on that right now. I am here to play football, that’s it. I am here with my teammates and happy to see the guys. There were a lot of smiles and a lot of love and that’s all that matters.”

Wallace said he has no regrets about how the holdout played out, and it was never about not wanting to be there for his teammates.

“I don’t dwell on the past,” said Wallace. “I am worried about right now, that’s it. I don’t have any regrets. Anything I do in life I don’t regret it. I am grown man, that’s what I do. Whatever I do, that’s what I did.

“The whole time, I never wanted to be away from my teammates. I love my teammates and I love the organization. I never once wanted to be away. But like I said, that’s the business side of it. We handled it the way we had to.”

Posted in Team | 30 Comments »

30 Responses to “Wallace: “I am ready to go””

1. By Christopher H. McLeod on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

It is very good to have Mike Wallace, back on our team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, need him, his speed is what, we need on the field, the bomb is a threat with Mike Wallace. Let’s play Steelers Football, we take one game at a time.

2. By steelerNica on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Let’s Gooooo

3. By todd from cincy on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

welcome back baby, now lets get a ring

4. By Michael on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

I wish steelers would trade him for the businss side of it. That is just my opinion Maybe if he shows in the beginning of training he shows repect for the steeler nation and would get his big contract.

5. By Ed. Radvansky Sr. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Well on the other side of things you also hurt your teammates buy not attending pre-season workouts, drills, and pre-season games. I hope you don’t let all of us fans down along with the rest of the team. I wish you well and good health throughout the season. Now is the time to stop the talk and just do. My family and I are STEELERS throughout.

6. By Hector Rubio on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

He obviously was holding out because he wasnt going to get a big contract but the important thing is hes back and ready to play some football. lets get it done #17

7. By Hector Rubio on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Bugatti Boyz! All Year!!

8. By dale r. schaffner sr. on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

a hearty wel come back mike now we got our deep threat back and ben is lickin his chops this will be great for our running game and our passing game we all love in our house mike i cant wait till u and ben hook up for ur first long td pass GOD BLESS U AND KEEP U SAFE AND HEALTHY NOW LETS GO WIN OUR DIVISION BACK FROM THE CROWS GO STEELERS

9. By Alvin Shipp on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Welcome Back 17, I know the business side of it and what you did was a good business decision! Steeler Nation the man wasnt under contract so he had to do what is best for him. I have to say I think I’m the happiest man in Steeler nation because I know what 17 brings to this team and us. Lets put it in the past and be happy. Bruce is out, Todd is in I’m looking forward too not seeing 2 and 3 Receivers in the same area Go Steelers. Stretch the field Mike!!!

10. By Vince Travis on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

it’s good to know rthat Mike is back with the Steelers I think the combination of him and Antonio Brown are going to be one of the best of pair of wideouts in the NFL for years to come I hope the team comes to see that Mike is worth a new contract and gives it to him

11. By ben on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

welcome back wallace !!!!!….sorry u got catch all the grief from these fans that will be cheering you on when your catching bombs and helping the team …it was business guys get over it hes back!!!

12. By Rafael Augusto on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey man!!!. Welcome back, Steelers Nation is your home.

13. By Ryan Gilbert on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey Mike…go deep.

14. By Shawn on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Holdouts are part of the NFL, a good majority of the great players eventually go through it. The Steelers wouldn’t be the same team w/o Wallace on the roster. And Kevin Colbert made it clear they have no intention of trading him. Thank god. Welcome back Mike…time to chase down another ring boys!!

15. By Jax Davidson on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Glad you’re back Mike! Without you the Steelers would have had a good offense. With you the Steelers can have an unstoppable offense! Don’t listen to these people who are bad mouthing you about loyatly….if THEY had an opportunity to make millions they’d probably sell their grandmother down the river…Just as the rookie DeCastro has found out…life in the NFL can be unpredictable…get what you can when you can! But you are still with the best team and organization in the league…that in itself will prove to be worth alot to you! Now go out there and get 1000 yards and a dozen td’s for us!

16. By Jimi Fuller on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Welcome Big Mike!!!! Business is business and i aint hating. Lets take it to the House!!!!!! Goooo!!!! Steeeeeeelers!!!!!!! Boooooom Baaaaaby!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By Brian Brown on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I love me some #17 but please fire whoever was giving u the advice that this is what u needed to do. U signed the same tender that u could have and still made camp on time. The Steelers would have let u sit out the season if your agents gave u that advice, they don’t do deals with holdouts, that’s common knowledge. I think they know what your worth to the team and you;ll get your due if your smart about it. Steeler Nation still luvs u mike just get better advice or we will remember u but move on!

18. By Nardo Russ on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Here we go, here comes speed Wallace, go for the bomb if you will……LOL

STEELER NATION!!!!!!!

19. By bob mak on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Mike will only be great if Ben lets him

20. By Sam Marano on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I am very happy to see Mike back with the Steelers there is no doubt we are a much better team with him. We all ned to get serious here. It may have out over money but after the one year tender it turned totally into him not wanting to go through the rigors of training camp. The posibility of getting hurt in preseason and making his markerability after the season a little less valuable. Don’t get me wrong I am very happy he’s back but he needs to be truthful and we all need to understand the game that he played

21. By Von Pledger on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see you are back….I knew you werent letting the team down. Now lets make them defenses practice an hour longer!

22. By trihrder on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Holdout’s over! Time to play championship football! Great to have 17 back. Have a great season Mike! Contact will follow.

23. By Smoking Gun on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Business is Business, The PAST is the PAST, WELCOME BACK MIKE on behalf of the ENTIRE STEELER NATION!!!!

With Mike Wallace as a Steeler this offense has the not only the continued capability to be HANDS DOWN #1 in the league AGAIN, we have it with a very DEEP THREAT!!!! I personally know this offense has the capability without #17 on the roster, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t ecstatic about big Mike being back. Let’s focus on all that is GREAT in the GREATEST FOOTBALL CITY in this GREAT NATION and LET’S GO STEELERS!!!!

Time for #7 to lead us to #7!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By Jesse Gustafson on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

just take things slow mikey boyand will be wearing that seventh ring this year

25. By butch dotson on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

just in time 4 ring 7 dog good job the best of luck.

26. By steelcity ridah on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

everybody has an opinion and the truth is its not important bc look when hines held out cant say nothing unless ur walking in thier shoes as a provider for thier family they must do whats in the best interest especially when one play could cost them thier careers.suit up or shut up. if ur a diehard then u ride with the bng4life and leave all that gossip for the ratbirds,bungles,and brownie fans.Here we go STEELERS,Here we go,c yall n oakland where i will rep for the black and gold allday whoop whoop

27. By Mikey Newman on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Time to scorch some some butt, lucky 7 is on the menu!!!!!!!!

28. By steve mccartney on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Not one of you is a true Steeler fan if you say a bad word about Mike Wallace. The Rooneys weren’t loyal to Mr. WARD. They cut him and many others. It is a business. Wallace played great for peanuts his first contract and now it’s time for one of the richest teams in the world to pay him. I’m glad you stayed home Mike. Welcome back. Best of luck to you and the team this year. I am a lifer Steeper fanbut I will loose some respect for the Rooneys if they don’t compensate you.

29. By cristian on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

he’s a very fast runner. im glad he’s back. lets go steelers!

30. By 2013 super bowl champs on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

for all the people saying wallace should have been traded for his hold out are stupid… wallace was to into the business side of the deal and now thats not his major engine to stay with the team he wants to stay because thats his team. he is a key asset with the offense of the steelers him and bro together is gunna be unreal there 2 very good young athletic recievers. Tomlin will give him his deal he just wants to see wallace do work… Sanders is good but we all know brown and wallace is a better duo…. when they drop into the 3 -4 recievers its gunna be insane cotchery, wallace, brown and sanders…. mikes a key asset to this team glad hes back and ready to play