• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM EDT Mike Tomlin Press Conference

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Wed., Sep. 24, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Thu., Sep. 25, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Fri., Sep. 26, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Mon., Sep. 29, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

• Mon., Sep. 29, 2014 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Steelers Nation Radio Steelers Nation Radio brings you the latest Steelers news, analysis, and gameday radio.
  • Tue., Sep. 30, 2014 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM EDT Mike Tomlin Press Conference

Wilson happy to be at camp

Posted by Teresa Varley on July 26, 2012 – 2:59 pm

Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson has been all smiles since the team reported to training camp on Wednesday and who can blame him.

Wilson suffered severe burns from a fire at his home in January, and spoke about that publicly for the first time on Thursday.

“It’s great to be back,” said Wilson. “It’s my most rewarding camp ever.”

Wilson did return to the team in the spring, coaching during the team’s OTAs while getting around on a golf cart. Now he is moving around with ease, even jogging during the morning session.

“I’m pretty much 100 percent right now,” said Wilson. “I got a little bit more, but I’m happy where I’m at.

“No doubt ever came in my mind that I would not be here. It was just what condition would I be in when I got here? That was the goal in the OTAs and mini-camp, to be smart, pace myself, learn what bothers me and what doesn’t bother me and just fix that when we got to training camp. The goal is to leave camp in the same condition as I came here, and that is upright. Hopefully by being smart and taking breaks here and there it won’t be a problem for me.”

Wilson says he does have to be careful in the sun and heat, something he plans on doing.

“I burn easily,” he said. “I use sun block, have to take shade breaks. The key is to be here for my players and the organization. I have to be smart though the process.”

Wilson’s players have rallied around him since the incident, and he said the support he has received has been overwhelming.

“It was tremendous,” said Wilson. “From the organization all the way down to Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin, it’s been tremendous. My players because the first guy I saw when I got back was Isaac Redman and he said, “I knew you couldn’t stay away!” It’s been great support and I want to thank everybody for the prayers and support. It’s been amazing. I’m really happy.”

Posted in Training Camp | 2 Comments »

2 Responses to “Wilson happy to be at camp”

1. By Bobby Harris on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

God bless you with your health.Good to have you back with the team.

2. By Julian Paige on Jul 30, 2012 | Reply

God Bless you coach and welcome back.