• Sat., Aug. 02, 2014 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM EDT Steelers.com LIVE

Aaron Smith says thank you

Posted by Teresa Varley on March 12, 2012 – 11:29 am

It came as no surprise to see the Thank You ad that Aaron Smith took out in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, featuring a letter he wrote thanking the Steelers organization, staff, players, coaches and the fans and saying “goodbye”. Smith is a class act, and the gesture is one that falls right in line with the way he has handled his entire 13-year career with the Steelers.

The following is the content from the letter from Smith:
Dear Steelers Fans,

As of today, I am no longer a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I leave the field and Steelers with no regrets, and am grateful to have played for such a tremendous organization. I feel truly blessed to have spent my entire professional career in the best town, playing for the most loyal fans who have loved and supported myself and my family.

The last 13 years of our lives have been special because of the people who cheered me on, and I am truly fortunate to have been a part of the Steelers, the City of Pittsburgh and the Steelers Nation. You have opened your arms and your hearts to us as a family and we will never forget that. Your support, enthusiasm, love and dedication are gifts I will carry with me my entire life.

I may no longer be on the Steelers active roster, but I will always be a Steeler and will never forget the people who made it all worthwhile — the fans, the Rooneys, the front office, the equipment guys and trainers, my teammates and family. Thank you for supporting me over the last 13 years, and I hope you will support me in whatever future path life will take me on.

We plan on making Pittsburgh our home and I will endeavor for the rest of my days to find a way to thank each and every one of you personally for all that you have done and meant for me and my family. You cheered for me for 13 years and now I cheer for you for the rest of my life. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to have the job of a lifetime. You will always be in my heart.

Your friend always,

Aaron Smith and Family, No. 91

Posted in News | 18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Aaron Smith says thank you”

1. By GLADYS SHAW on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I WILL ALWAYS BE A STEELERS FAN

2. By Carlos Ragonese on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I’ll miss you dearly brother Smith Jesus loves you and yours very much.

3. By Denise Lavery on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

You Will Surely be Missed Aaron Love And Peace to you and your Family, and Thank YOU
    Sincerely,
    Denise Lavery
    and from my brother BIlly Lavery

4. By jeff johnson on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

thank you so much for all those sundays, we will miss you very much. may God bless you and your family for all that you did on and off the field.you will always be in our black and gold hearts.may you succeed in all that you do after football. and again i say thanks

5. By Tom McCafrey on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Best wishes Aaron

6. By Jeff John on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Aaron you have always been a Class act & we were blessed to have you on our team, I watch every game & you played with a intensity & desire that defines Steeler football. Having lived in Az. since 81 I do not get to reed or follow as close as I would like, thank god for the NFL channel ESPN & this web site. The Steeler Nation lives in every state & other countrys around the world & we all suport & wish you & your family the verry best you deserve it. Thanks again & God bless

7. By kwoo on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Yes Aaron or Mr. Smith,

8. By kwoo on Mar 19, 2012 | Reply

Yes Aaron or Mr. Smith, Our STEELER’S are all Class and you just proved it. Thanks for the years and the outstanding performances. Best to you and your family, once your in Black and Gold, you can never check out! Good luck in the future!

9. By Paul Dawson on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Thank you so much Aaron for giving the Steelers organization everything you had. You are one of the Steeler greats. This gesture by Aaron is the exact reason why once you’re a Steeler, you are ALWAYS a Steeler. Its more than a uniform, its more than a city. Some may call it a brotherhood, some may call it a following. Heck, you can call it a cult. All I know is its pretty damn special to be a part of the Steelers die hard fan base. And its players like Aaron, Hines, and James Farrior (and so many others) that make it so special. I feel so blessed to have had the chance to watch Aaron play his heart out for 13 seasons. I feel terrible for Mr. Lebeau, cause he is losing one of the most important pieces in his stellar 3-4 defense. Best of luck to you Aaron, and thank you so much. You managed to make a 33 year old man get choked up after reading your ad. Thank you for your tremendous representation of the Black and Gold.

10. By SteelerFan4Life on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

Aaron is a class act, a great fit for a class organization. You will be missed! Once a Steeler, always a Steeler!

11. By Rey J. Ruiz on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

WOW! It feels so wierd watching Camron Become part of the Champion Steelers! For years i’ve wondered if he would become a steeler because me and his dad have a serious background way back from high school in Passaic! We both became professional athletes him in football, me in boxing. I watched closely how Camron became the beast he was meant to be! He looks exactly like his dad (spittin image) but I thank God that he didn’t aquire his manneriszms! He is a genltlemen and I wish the best of great things for him! Nice!

12. By mike on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Thank you, Aaron Smith, the best 3-4 end to ever put on a helmet. God bless you and your family. The Steelers Nation will love you forever.

13. By Lori on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Dear Aaron…that you for all your hard work and being a part of a great team…the Pittsburgh Steelers.

14. By Matt Miklos Sr. on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

It was always such a thrill to see you play!! It’s because of players like you we have Steeler Nation!! You are a true pro on and off the field, I wish you and your family the best!! Thank You # 91!!!! Go Steelers!!!! Matt M.

15. By Quandra on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Aaron Smith……. Oh Aaron Smith, you have no idea how valuable and cherished you will forever be in our hearts.. You handled yourself far above a class act. You are and forever will be part of “THE AUTHENTIC STEEL CURTAIN”. Knowing you were on that line for every game that you played, made all of us Steeler fans breath and feel more comfortable because you truly held the CURTAIN up.. So now as you embrace retirement I’m sending you a true blessing prayer that God will continue to bless you and your family and keep you all in perfect peace… The number 91, should be RETIRED because you broke the mold Aaron. So let the bells ring and a stay of silence welcoming a TRUE LEGEND IN YOUR TIME.. We love you Aaron Smith #91

16. By Wayne & Christy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

We Love You Aaron & Will continue to pray for you and your BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

17. By Flintstone on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Aaron now that your moving on to your new life start to focus on the healing process properly and take lots of Omega 3 w/ fishoil and Vitamin D. If ever you need to get some treatment please check out a naturalist Dr. named Dr.Michaelson and you will achieve great healing! I’ll keep you in prayer and may God’s favor be upon you in your new life!

18. By jeff porch on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply